Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Improvisational Quilt by Anna Williams of Baton Rouge

Anna Williams' quilts are a source of inspiration for me. I love all the tiny pieces and the casual but powerful overall designs. Years ago my sister Eileen and I sat in front of one of Anna's quilts for half an hour (at the Museum of the American Quilter's Society in Paducah) and really studied it. Then we challenged each other to make a quilt that would just like one that Anna would make. It wasn't easy. When we were finished, we mailed photos of our quilts to her. She wrote back saying that she was happy we liked her quilts. She didn't offer an opinion about whether our quilts looked like hers, though.

You can read more about Anna on "Barbara Brackman's Material Culture" blog: www.barbarabrackman.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. Is this a photo of Anna's quilt? If so would you be willing to sharing the quilts you and your sister made? Such eye catching scrappiness. I thnk you'd need 30 minutes just to looks at all the fabrics in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm so happy to found your lovely blog and see so many beautiful and unique quilts!
    Online Quilt Museum is wonderful idea and now I'll go to see more your works and books!

    ReplyDelete